Slow cooking is an easy way to make a hearty casserole or soup. Unlike Sous-Vide, it is important not to overcook in a slow cooker, but cooking time is far less critical than Pressure Cooking or Microwaving. Slow cooking is best on the low setting, which can take 3-5 hours, but will not boil the stock. If you are in a hurry, try the high setting or auto if you want to set and forget (but always check it regularly).
Here are some of our slow cooking recipes:
Slow Cooked Chicken Casserole
This slow cooked chicken casserole is great to prepare in the mornings on cold, winter days. It fills the house with the aroma of home-cooking and brings back childhood memories. Add oregano, sage and white wine for a continental touch.
- 1 Red Capsicum
- 1 Red Onion
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 Potato
- 2 Parsnips
- 2 Chicken Thighs (Skin Off)
- 100ml Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1/4 Cup White Wine
- 1/4 tsp oregarno
- 1/4 tsp sage
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Dice the chicken thighs and marinate in lemon juice, salt and pepper for an hour. This stops the white albumen leaching out of the chicken during cooking.
- Dice the vegetables.
- Put olive oil, white wine, chicken stock, chicken and vegetables into a slow cooker bowl.
- Optional - If you are in a hurry place the bowl into a microwave and heat for 10 minutes.
- Place the bowl into a slow cooker set to low (or auto if you are in a hurry).
- Slow cook for three hours (or two if you have been in a hurry).
- Serve the chicken, vegetables and stock in bowls.
- Optional - If you like a thicker sauce: Reduce it separately, by half, in a saucepan and recombine it with the chicken and vegetables.
Slow cooked chicken casserole ingredients
Slow cooked chicken casserole